Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Tips Tricks and Techniques - From here on out known as Triple T's

I'd like to start sharing some of my favorite tips, tricks, and techniques for scrapbooking and crafting in general. It would also be a great way to answer some questions that people may have or if there's anything you've wanted to try but not sure how it works I can try first. I'm a pretty average scrapper, but I love to try new stuff and would be happy to share my success and failures with everyone. I'm proud to write the first column in Triple T! For the first post I wanted to share some of my favorite tools that aren't traditional "Scrapbooking" tools. These are things you can find anywhere else at often a lower or no cost.

A quick note - I know that not all of these items are not acid free and therefore may not be considered safe for scrapbooking. My thought is as long as they aren't hitting pictures directly i tend not to worry about it. But if that's your thing then please be aware...Now on to the list...

1. CD's - We all know that they make great mini albums. I love to use them as circle templates, bases for wreaths, door hangers etc... My favorite source for Free cd's(other than when I finally give up my freestyle obsession from when i was 12.. ha ha ha) is at Wal-Mart... there is always a stand with CD's promoting an Internet service provider in great envelopes. I always grab a few (not too greedy!) when I'm there. The outside is great to decorate with the cd to make a wonderful gift card holder (but you'll see that on a future Triple T Post!)

2. Paint Chips - Yup those things you get at a home store with all the paint colors on them. Again the uses are endless, using them as a base for inchies (in a great progressive color scheme - guess what's coming in a future Triple T post??) Another thing I use them for is to determine how colors will go to better I often get a better feel with those than with a color wheel. Of course people might look at you funny when you stand at the paint aisle with scrapbook paper so maybe go a little prepared! Again generally free, as long as you don't freak the people in your local hardware store out.

3. Multi-Colored Higlighters - they make edging a breeze without chalks or inks, and I like the chiseled point which help guide and get into smaller corners. I got a pack similar to this from Office Depot for a small price.



4. White Out - It's great for inking on darker cardstock or painting smaller areas in total. Very inexpensive in office supply stores or even some dollar stores.



5. My Favorite one Yet - Wooden Coffee Stirrers: There are so many things that you can do with these little gems. they are little strips wood essentially. Paint them - check, ink them - check, stamp on them, you bet! They are great for building frames, that are customized to your project. Other of my favorite uses: Can't find your bone folder? Grab one of these... Need a straight edge for cutting with your craft knife - this will do it!


finally I also love to use them to create hidden texture on a layout (i apologize because the pictures aren't that great but i hope you can get the general idea!)
1. Glue the stick on your background (i suggest starting with a small area until you get really good, then move on to patterns etc..)


2. Cover the stick and surrounding are with adhesive, for this you want a wet adhesive, something that will have a little slide/give as you mold the paper.

3. place your paper over the stick and using your finger start molding the paper around it.

If you are having problems getting into areas, use another stick or your bone folder, it takes a few minutes and often a lighter weight cardstock is easier to manipulate than a heavier one. Just mold the paper use firm but not too much pressure the goal is to mold not cut the paper around the stick.

I know it's hard to tell in this picture but it's great after you have a pattern and you go to ink or chalk - it creates an awesome texture to your layout.
Please leave me a comment on what some of your favorite non-traditional scrapbooking tools or supplies are!
Thanks for reading!













1 comment:

Dakota Bear said...

Hello Angelica,

I came across you site via scrapbook.com.

I'll add you to my bloglist

Dakota Bear